Two Dollar Bike Rack
Carrying bicycles in cars is always a problem. Of course
anything is possible and a quick trip to the bike shop and another hundred
on the Visa card and the problem is solved but some of us would like a cheaper
way. This is my approach. It involves a two dollar
steel ring from a hardware store and 4 to 6 feet of rope. That's it.
Here are the steps.
1) Checkout the trunk latch and note the diameter of the steel
used for the lower latch.
2) Buy a 2 inch steel ring with the same steel material as the
lower latch. about the same diameter steel material.
3) Tie a 4 to 6 foot length of rope to the ring.
4) Open the trunk and push the ring into the latch in the trunk
cover. It should snap shut. Notice that the ring is
now captured in the trunk lid and the only way to release it is to either
use the trunk key to open the latch or use the release inside the car.
5) Now put the Bicycle in the trunk with the front end hanging
6) pass the end of the rope through the bottom latch.
7) Pull the rope to close the lid and use the free end of the
rope to tie the bike in.
8) Done BUT again at the end of your journey REMEMBER
that the only way to restore the trunk to normal operation is to remove
the ring. This must be done with the key unlocking the trunk
or the latch inside the car. It may be necessary to pull on
the ring as the key is turned. Do all this at your own risk.
It works for me but cars are different.
9) Again You must use the key to release the ring.